Getting up first thing in the morning isn’t always a piece of cake, at least not for everybody. Those moments between the wake-up call and the minute you step out the door are extremely precious. Most of us probably have classic routines such as: wake up, get out of bed, wash your teeth and your face, get dressed, maybe put a little bit of makeup on, take a sip out of your morning coffee, grab your bag and run out the door towards work.
However, morning routine should represent a bundle of moments that give you the necessary energy and vitality to pursue your tasks throughout the day. This may take some serious trial and error until you achieve the perfect combination. If you want to get some inspiration, let’s see how 10 successful women manage their everyday morning routines.The interesting fact is that all these women have found the way to manage their work, families, time to exercise and have some moments for themselves in the first hours of their mornings.
1. Arianna Huffington is Editor in Chief at AOL Huffington Post Media Group.The first thing she does in the morning is yoga and meditation. One thing we certainly need to learn from her is what she doesn’t do as part of her morning routine, and that is something most of us probably do the minute we open our eyes. “I don’t start the day by looking at my smartphone.” Eureka! The solution to our problems! Ignore your smartphone and all its notifications, at least until you reach the stage of drinking your coffee. Let’s say that could be a proper moment to check your emails and notifications. Once she’s awake, Arianna takes a minute to breathe deeply, be grateful for everything she has and set her intention for the day. As she’s certainly a woman that radiates positive energy and has managed to set the pace for the digital media industry during the past decade, we believe she’s quite a role model.
2. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is a Model, an Actress and also an Entrepreneur. An amazing aspect about Rosie, that everyone will appreciate is that she makes time for a cuddle session with her very famous boyfriend, action star Jason Statham first thing in the morning. By the time most “mortals” get to work and settle into their office chairs, ready to kick-start the day, Rosie has already walked her mini-dachshunds, made breakfast, went through a major sweat session (Body by Simone and Ballet Bodies in L.A are her usual workouts) and spritzed herself with perfume. On top of this, he also manages to drink her morning green juice, reply to emails and get her makeup and hair done for the shootings scheduled during the day. Although we might think she’s somewhat of a superwoman, there’s one thing she couldn’t do without: the classic and well-deserved cup of coffee. Well, that’s one thing we have in common with her, don’t you agree? :)
3. Payal Kadakia is the CEO and Fouder of ClassPass. Unlike Arianna, Payal is the kind of person that checks her smartphone as soon as she wakes up. We won’t judge, someone’s recipe might work wonders on a particular set of people, while for others it won’t be the best solution ever. Payal loves fitness so there’s no surprise that she enjoys her workout very early in the morning. When others reach for their coffee, she goes on a 30-minute run or in cases when time isn’t on her side, she includes a 10-minute core workout at home. For Payal, the common excuse of “I’m too tired to exercise” or “I don’t have time to workout in the morning” is definitely not an option. The funny part of her morning routine is her every day pit-stop at Starbucks, for a Venti citrus green tea, which has been going on for more than 10 years already.
4. Michelle Kohanzo is the Managing Director of The Land of Nod. Now this is a successful woman who’s morning routine might resemble to that of many other women around the world, including yourself. Her first activity is making wardrobe decisions. How many of us don’t sit in front of their shelves, full of skirts, blouses, t-shirts, pants and dresses, wondering what to wear for the upcoming day? The secret lies in masterfully editing your morning routine to a mere 30 minutes. As Michelle herself admits, it’s “just enough time to figure out what to wear, get dressed and drink as much coffee as possible.” It seems like coffee still is the main solution for getting both your body and mind started for what lies ahead. Long live coffee!
5. Anna Wintour. Although she doesn’t need any introductions, for those of you who aren’t familiar with the fashion industry, Anna is the Editor in Chief of Vogue Magazine and Condé Nast’s Artistic Director. Now let’s get into those kind of details that you probably didn’t know about the most watched fashion icon of the world. It might seem atypical, but first thing in the morning, you will find Anna playing tennis. She wakes up really early for her one hour session of tennis at New York’s Midtown Tennis Club. Really early means she’s there at 5.45 sharp. Wow, that is EARLY. It seems like morning tennis is a hobby shared by other fashion stars as well, such as Hilary Rhoda and Sean Avery. For them, it appears that waking up in what might be “the middle of the night” for some of us is something very common. At home, after a quick primping process, the arbiter of taste prepares to leave for her office at One World Trade Center for an endless set of meetings. As she herself states “anything that runs over seven minutes” is a long meeting.
6. Isabel Marant is a well known Fashion Designer. Whereas some people’s morning potion of choice is coffee, some enjoy a cup of tea. Isabel prefers a cup of tea first thing in the morning. After fixing her uniform, composed of flat shoes, a tight pair of jeans, a cashmere sweater and a jacket, she’s ready to drive her scooter to the pool in St. Germain for a 35 laps swimming session. This routine helps her breathe and handle stressful days. The thing she likes most about this pool from the beginning of the last century is that you get your own cabin. After a quick shower in her cabin, Isabel stops by for juice on her way to the office. Most of the time it’s a carrot-and-ginger concoction. Once she steps into the office though, Isabel drinks a black coffee, American style. Amounting to 400 billion cups consumed each year all over the world, it seems like coffee remains close to our hearts, morning after morning. Sometimes, even later in the afternoon or in the middle of the night.
7. Famous actress and the Founder of Goop, Gwyneth Paltrow starts her morning by drinking warm water with lemon. Doesn’t sound pleasant, but it’s a proven fact that this combo helps kick-start the digestion process for the day. The two biggest benefits of lemons are its strong antibacterial, antiviral, and immune-boosting powers and their use as a weight loss aid. After that, she gets her kids dressed, fed and then drops them off at school. When kids are taken care of, Gwyneth starts responding to work emails for about and hour and then dedicated two hours to exercising. From 10 a.m till noon, she has her daily Tracy Anderson Method workout. Seems like more and more successful women on this list keep their silhouette in shape with morning workouts. We should try this sometime.
8. Katherine Power is the Co-Founder and CEO of Clique Media. For Katherine, the day starts with a morning exercise. She states that: “Exercise wakes me up and gets my juices flowing. I get my best ideas working out or on a drive back from the gym to the house.” Her post-workout breakfast is usually “one egg on a piece of toast and some avocado.” After the workout session, she puts all the ideas she had in mind into action right away. Immediately after, she gets into her car and open her Notes app on her smartphone, typing everything so she won’t forget. Sometimes, she calls someone who is available to listen to all her ideas at 7 in the morning. Apparently,working out is also good for your creativity. So keep that in mind when you feel your inspiration kind of lost its way!
9. Juliet de Baubigny is Partner of Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. With a work mindset and a busy schedule ahead, Juliet starts her morning by checking her emails. After that, she either does the Tracy Anderson Method Perfect Design DVD or has a trainer come to her house. When she’s done with the spinning or exercising on the elliptical, she always manages to make some time for her kids at breakfast. Her primping time is kept to 15 minutes the most and then she prepares to leave for the office. On her way to work, she drops her two children off at school. The 15-minute drive in the morning is a precious time she really cherishes and it makes her feel like they all start their day on the right foot. There’s just something about family that keeps people going!
10. Victoria Beckham, one of the 5 members of Spice Girls, is currently the Founder and Creative Director of Victoria Beckham Fashion Line. It may seem narcissistic, but for Victoria, first thing in the morning is some time dedicated to herself. “Me-time” is a concept that can be different for every person, but we cannot deny is not important. So you might want to consider offering yourself some you time at least 3 days per week if not more often. Victoria has a half an hour before the kids wake up. In this time slot, she takes a shower, washes her face, brushes her teeth, check the morning emails and has a modest fruit breakfast with green tea, followed by a double espresso. We know, we couldn’t deal without coffee either!
Now that we’ve stolen some inspiring ideas for a healthy, energizing morning routine, we’re up to making some changes in our lives. How about you guys, did you find any advice worth following? If so, don’t wait another second and put those ideas into practice starting tomorrow morning!
Source: My Domain
Photo source: Pinterest